Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Con-Fusion

Vaguely Japanese style chicken meatballs (basic recipe here), brown rice, salad w/ Japanese restaurant style carrot/ginger dressing & cucumbers that had marinated in vinegar, and green chard stir fried with garlic. The sauce at the top left is almond butter based like this one.

I'm convinced soaking skewers prior to broiling is worthless. Want the sticks to look pretty? Cover exposed areas with foil. The rest of us can enjoy the char broiled goodness. [Plum Creek chicken, Firefly chard, Urban Growth garlic]

I'm coming to the realization that if I want to eat a healthy, complete meal, I've pretty much got to eat at home (or at limited ethnic restaurants). Maybe it's just the season, but it seems like some of the better menus around here compete for who could use the richest offal, the fattiest cuts, and/or deep fry the most. There's huge risotto and pasta mains, burger mania, offal fetishism (I'm not immune) . . . . Farm-to-table and nose-to-tail appear to be synonymous with "cook everything in animal fat of varying temperature." And that's just locally. When I turn on my super-limited cable Man v. Food is like The Making of a Heart Attack (or at least a diabetic), and I'm pretty sure Lipitor is sponsoring No Reservations.

I'm no health nut. I eat everything. But sometimes it's just too much. Which isn't to say I'm for salt bans or any real initiatives. It'd just be nice to be able to go out and get some good food that's not internally punishing. Sure, it's possible to piece together a meal at some quality spots, but couldn't it be a little easier?

Cleveland in general is not a model of health. Wouldn't it be kind of a public service if a place offered something like a non-ass kicking prix fixe? At least once a week? I'd order it. Just something like "No Heart Attack Wednesdays" or "Confit Free Fridays."

And until then, if you have the time, might I suggest this recipe for cured salmon. It's awesome, if not a bit high in salt and sugar. Pic of cure below.

Good for X-Mas or Hanukkah, or anything else, really.

2 comments:

steve said...

Actually when I soak the skewers it's just so that they don't burn up and fall apart. Although for the length of time most stay on the grill it is probably ok. I agree on the menus, not much veggies except with extra fat or deep frying.

The CFT said...

maybe it's a skewer specific thing.

i don't think the restaurants are tying to kill people, but they aren't helping. you'd think longer living customers = more business.