Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Decadent Comfort Food

Foie gras mashed potatoes. Spuds don't get better.

Yukon Golds from the cellar, Snowville Creamery cream, homemade butter (made from said cream), and diced foie with a nice chunk of seared foie on top.

There was no plan in making this. I had the liver soaking in milk and figured I'd make a mini foie torchon. But when I came home to the soaking liver I was in the mood for potatoes. And really, a mini torchon? Sometimes I don't think right.

To put it together, after boiling and draining the peeled potatoes, I smashed them in the pot they were cooked in over low heat, added butter, salt and pepper, and cream to get a nice, loose consistency. Then I stirred in diced, room temp raw foie. Much of it emulsified into the potatoes, but there were still a few wonderful chunks remaining.

I've never had better mashed potatoes, and it was much simpler than making a torchon. Plus, if the President can jet set to a wonderful little spot in NYC while the auto industry is sold off to our friends from another continent, I figure we're all entitled to enjoy some luxury, even if only in our own homes.

7 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

my lord CFT, you are seriously living the high life.

The CFT said...

sadly, it's coming to an end. i'm getting fat and am out of foie.

Nancy Heller said...

That is simply beautiful. And I thought we were living the high life with a burger at The Annex tonight!

The CFT said...

The Annex?

mad white russian said...

did you manage to finish the cream?

OhioMom said...

Those potatoes look yummy!

The CFT said...

Working on it, comrade.

They were good OHMom. Thanks.