Thursday, January 31, 2008

Making use of leftovers

Kale Risotto Cake and Pea Shoot/Blood Orange Salad with Blood Orange/Maple Syrup Vinaigrette.

For the risotto cake, I had some leftover risotto that I made the standard way with the addition of steamed and sauteed kale mixed in at the end. I made a hamburger type patty out of the leftover risotto straight from the fridge (it easier with damp hands), coated the patty lightly with panko, and sauteed in butter in a nonstick pan.

The salad is made up of pea shoots that I picked up at the Indoor Winter Market, and a segmented blood orange from the West Side Market. Also a little salt and pepper. Very refreshing.

The vinaigrette is made of dijon mustard, blood orange juice, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper.

Not much else to say about this one, except damn it Michael Pollan. This dinner was good, but I had a beautifully marbled hormone free corn fed steak in my hands at the grocery store earlier this evening (it even made it into my shopping basket for a short while), but I just couldn't do it, not in my home. Hopefully I'll manage to get the grass fed stuff at the Winter Mkt on Saturday and satisfy the craving.

No comments: