Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Carrot Halwa (Gajar Ka Halwa)

In sticking with the Indian cooking videos, I'm posting the recipe I used for this followed by two inspirational videos. It's a result of having limited supplies and the need to make something for a vegetarian pot luck. Having spent four hours at North Union's Indoor Winter Market at Shaker Square on Saturday, there was no excuse for the lack of supplies, but so it goes. If you're in the Cleveland area I can't recommend the Winter Market enough. It's the closest thing to sunshine we get around this time of year

Ingredients:
Butter, about three tbs
Cashew, pieces
Almond, pieces
Raisins (golden would be great, but I didn't have them for this)
Carrot, shredded (here 4-5 cups)
Milk (enough to cover the carrot, about 2 cups)
Heavy cream (optional, I just used a splash)
Sugar, to taste (one cup was about right for me--it looks like a lot, but go with it)
Cardamom, seeds pounded
Fennel seed, pounded (my addition, I liked it)

Method:
see below

Here are the videos I watched. Very informative.



and



Lately I can't seem to get enough of these videos, but I'm sure the Indian food kick will come to end eventually.

No comments: