Sunday, April 21, 2013

Make This Now: Nettle Pesto

This is the third nettle pesto plug I've made here--it's just so good and the season is so brief.  The best of nettle season in Cleveland is happening right now, so if you get the chance, cut some, carefully.

Pesto = toasted pine nuts (almonds are a good sub); Parmesan (any good hard cheese could work); oil (I used half olive half sunflower); just the smallest piece of raw garlic; nettle leaves (tops of the plants blanched for 45 sec in boiling water and then shocked in cold water, dried well, and then the leaves picked from the stems); salt; and pepper.  Puree in a food processor or blender.

The pasta was Rustichella d'Abruzzo Farro Spaghetti procured at the Market at the Fig. The farro pasta worked well--I wouldn't love it in a simple tomato sauce, but here I liked it more than the refined alternative.

Anyway, if you're into this I'd try this as soon as possible.  While the nettles will be around for a while, they won't be as good as they are now for long.

11 comments:

Kelp4less said...

Tough to find the flavor in a store bought basil. The best basil was grown in my backyard. Kelp4less helped me.

koli ullah said...

Wow! I always search this type of blog site. This is my favorite blog. I read it more and more. Follow the link:Clipping Path

Lingerie sexy said...

The best basil was grown in my backyard

juniormaster said...



Watch On Line HD Indian Tv Drama

Buy Youtube Comments said...

Thank you for posting such a useful website. Your weblog happens to be not just informative but also very stimulating too. I hope you don’t mind me sharing your blog to my friends. Buy Youtube Comments

Organic Italian Blessings said...

This looks so yummy... I am convinced that the best basil grows in Ohio!

Chancol Das said...

Indian dishes array in selection, taste along with quality. The robust tastes in Indian dishes usually are based on spices, seasonings along with leafy produce. Indian dishes have grown well known in the world and they are relished by means of non-Indians also.know more visit the http://www.topessaywriting.org/blog/papers-for-salelink.

Daria Marciniak said...

that looks very delicious :) i become hungry

Nibedeta Sen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nibedeta Sen said...

A person of the requirements regarding increasing organic garlic is to apply the perfect style of fertilizer. A variety of fertilizer found in these kinds of tomato widening is additionally commonly termed as organic and natural tomato meals. The significant vitamins and minerals tend to be nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.Know more from the link: https://www.essaythinker.com/ .

Jayachandran Elango said...

thanks for sharing this...

solar water heater suppliers in coimbatore