Monday, July 27, 2009

Roast Duck

The title says it all. One duck, salt, pepper, and a 350 oven for about 1 hr 45 min. Some potatoes roasted in reserved duck fat (the duck was in an uncovered casserole that was drained 3 or 4 times during roasting) with a whole garlic clove and some rosemary. Salt and pepper, too.

There's lots of info on roasting ducks out there, or rather lots of info on not roasting ducks. I didn't air dry, lacquer, score the skin, or any of that. Just started it back up and finished breast up. Simple. Good.

The breast was fully cooked but still really tender. Probably because of the self basting and all the fat it was sitting in during the first part of cooking. Tasted kind of like super rich dark meat chicken. But even more so, the leg was where it was at. Tender as a braised leg but with crispy skin. I'd like a dozen.

This isn't to say I'm giving up med rare duck breasts, but I won't hesitate to roast the whole bird again in the future. It's just too easy and low maintenance.

Duck from Plum Creek.

3 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

I love a roasted duck whole. J-- had done it a couple times--it is a different experience than breast but it is very satisfying.

Anonymous said...

With my travels I've been wondering how close I can get to beijing duck at home. Recomend a good source for the poultry?

The CFT said...

MM--I hear that J-- is quite the cook.

Anonymous, see post.