Saturday, August 30, 2008

Procrastinating

Eggs over easy, melon balls, toast, and bacon, not necessarily in that order.

It's not often I get to use the melon baller. I got the tool to easily remove seeds from apples and pears, so this kind of thing is just a bonus. Melon was on the brain after being treated to a wonderful melon/honey/olive oil cake dish at Bar Cento along with Maybelle's Parents. It reminded me of a super rich bread pudding, but was very different. The unexpected, but welcome, run-in with the Parents reminded me that there are advantages of being in smaller city, particularly this one. There are more than enough decent places to eat to stave off boredom, but the universe is small enough that there's always a good chance that you can wander into a place and find some good company and people that really enjoy good food.

The bacon is part of my quest to find the best bacon in the area. This stuff was from a processor in Fredericktown, OH. They use Ohio pigs. It was very good and toothsome, but a little pork steaky for my tastes. Maybe it was just the thick cut? For me, I've yet to have anything here or elsewhere that rivals the bacon from Country Gristmill (available at the Shaker Farmers Market, summer and winter). It's takes some attention during cooking, but I think the results are worth it. I'll admit though, that despite my love of smoking and things smoked I've yet to dabble with the ubiquitous trend of making bacon at home. It's bound to happen, but getting a happy pig's belly around here isn't as easy as it should be. It'll happen soon enough.

The eggs, as always, are from Plum Creek. Unless I get a few chicken of my own, there's no other choice for me. The butter for frying them and for the toast is raw milk butter from a cow-share I participate in.

A decent start for a day that should be filled with crating things for my imminent move. If you read this blog and are sick of hearing about it, I assure you I am sicker of mentioning it and am more than ready to move to my mini-orchard in the shadow of Franklin Avenue. Hopefully the next entry will be typed from there.

4 comments:

OhioMom said...

I am so hoping you post you lovely orchard and garden when you move ... and yes, Cleveland has some great eating spots :)

Simone said...

I too am always looking for the best bacon. I will have to try this one. Good luck with the move and thanks!

Ben said...

I recently got a pork belly from Mister Brisket on Taylor Road and made bacon from it, using the same smoker you have (or at least the one you pictured in this post). It took them a few weeks to get the pork belly, but the bacon turned out well.

Oddly enough, the first bacon I cooked from it, minutes out of the smoker, was a bit too thick as I was having trouble slicing 140+ degree pork. I've sliced the rest more thinly, though.

The CFT said...

I'll try OHMom.

Thanks Simone.

Ben, I'm glad it worked out, and I hear you on slicing warm smoked items. Mr. Brisket looks like they have some good stuff. Also, belly is always available at the WSM.