Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Chili Cookoff 2007

Just part of what went into my chili entry for tomorrow's event (No basil though, that's just there.). It would have been better if it sat for a day, but what are you going to do? Because of my lack of planning I was limited to my pantry and a barely-better-than-mediocre grocery store. The slow cooker is courtesy of an old roommate and friend, Jim Hassert (Click here and then on "Featured Artist: Jim"--he would have made a great teacher, but he's doing well for himself and works at a great company. Despite his credentials, he wasn't much of a chicken coop builder back then.). The rough recipe came from living out West, where it's a rare potluck that you'll be able to satisfy everyone if your dish has meat in it (or even if it doesn't). Those were the days when friends kept bags of roasted Hatch Chilies in their freezers, ready to share with anyone who asked. I don't know anyone with chilies in their freezers out here, but at least there's more than the occasional sun break during the winter. . . not much more though.

If I place anywhere near the top in the cookoff I'll post the recipe. There's no meat, and while I work with a quite a few vegetarians, it's a meat and potato city, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: